Sunday, November 30, 2008

Act of resistence: Adapt a Native Elder



Adapt a Native Elder
Well Jenna, Bene, and Chou, and I went to Bayshore Mall on Saturday and passed out about 100 flyers that were to increase the awareness of Native Americans and including them throughout other cultures. Often times Natives Americans are forgot about or aren't seen as important than in other cultures. We wanted to let people know this and to hopeful open eyes to them and see them as people as well. The adapt an elder is a really program where you can donate money to a Native American elder to support them to help them with food, clothes, and sometime life. Well enough of the background information lets see how the actual "walk for our cause" as we called it really went.
At first when we arrived at the mall we were a little hesitant; well all except Bene…lol. So Bene started if off to lead the rest of us in the right direction, "Hi ma'am, would you please take a flyer for our awareness?" And that was that: 1 down 99 to go. Then as we kept walking alone Jenna attempted to make a move. "Hi would you please take flyer for our awareness?" and the person was like "Uhh, No!" lmao…it was craziness. I mean seriously. Then for some reason we decided to change our slogan to "Hi would our please take a flyer for our cause." And we kept walking. Well it finally seemed like we were actually making progress when our pile of flyers got smaller but some of the reactions we got from people we just crazy. For example, I asked a man, "excuse me sir, would you please take a flyer to support our cause?" and the man replied, "…I'll….get…one later." and walked away and laughed. It was weird because I didn’t think it was that hard to take a piece of paper and read it once. O yea and then this one person that Bene was talking to said, "well I kind of have to meet someone soooo." LOL…what sense does that make. But yea in the end we ended up passing out 100 flyers. And honestly it felt really good. I felt like I did a good deed…lol. But yea I had fun! O yea we also noticed that we would walk past a person who we previously gave a flyer to and hmmm what do you know it was no longer in their possession…lol, some people idk…ok ok one more story…When one of us would get rejected (mostly Jenna and Chou…lol) someone behind them would feel bad and be like " I'll take one." and I didn’t really know how to look at it.


1. I feel bad for you so I will take a stupid flyer OR
2. Like seriously how rude can people be, these kids are just trying to make a difference. And it looks interesting.


I mostly was leaning towards the first one but hey…who knows…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool idea.
i'm gonna tell my Gramma that you guys did this.
i'm sure she'd be happy to hear about it.